This past weekend I heard something out of Benton's mouth that I thought I would never hear until he turned two. Now, don't get me wrong, he has been putting some 'mma-ma' syllables together, but nothing like this weekend. The earliest that Benton could start "talking" he could only say "dada" and just recently, "da-daaaa." Beau just kept on telling me that the "da" sound is easier for babies to say than "ma." I had myself convince otherwise. I really wanted him to say "mama" for a while. He could say ball, ca for cat, dog, but no mama. Until recently... a sound you want to hear that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and this two syllable word that starts with a 'm' and ends with a 'a' did just that.
It was like hell froze over. Like life stopped right then and there and you have a notion, but not quite sure if you are right or not. He said it, but then you think to yourself..did he really say 'mama' or was I still in my own-state-of-mind dreaming of him saying 'mama.' It's one of those where you see someone and you aren't quite sure if you know them so you do a double-look to make sure. (Go ahead and admit it...you have done the "double-look" a couple of times!) That's how I felt until he said it again....and again...and again.
It is a beautiful sound and a very interesting one. When he says 'mama', it's like someone gave you a hug when you needed it the most, or offered you ice-cream when you had a bad day (and you eat 1...or maybe 2 bowls), or made you laugh until you cried. There's something that comes over you that gives you that 'feeling.' Have you ever had that warm and fuzzy feeling? If so, you know that Benton saying 'mama' and in context, I may add, gives me that cozy feeling.
Benton can say 'maaa-ma'!!
West Fork Park | Green Township, OH | Cincinnati
8 years ago

1 comment:
Patricia, OMG, i love this post and can identify with everything you said. Thanks for making me smile/cry for the lucky gift of being a mamma on this special Mother's Day! Patti Rice :)
Post a Comment