Thursday, September 15, 2011

Baby #2

September 8, 2011 will be another date to remember in the Gailey calendar. The day that we found out we will be adding another son to our family.  Grant Milton was born at 7:08pm weighing in at 8 pounds, 1.4 ounces and measuring 19 3/4 inches long, only 1.5 ounces and 1/2 inch less than his older brother when Benton was born. Another precious Gailey. Another day I will never forget.

The story:
I was admitted to hospital after having another check-up appointment at the doctor's office. I was ordered to have a BPP (biophysical profile) to make sure that the baby was getting enough fluid and was still doing okay in the womb. The BPP said everything was still on track and that the baby was estimated to weigh around 7lbs, 8oz. We received a sonogram of the baby's face and man, did that baby have some cheeks! After the BPP, we waited in the waiting room for another 30 minutes to see the doctor. After a check of my blood pressure, the doctor finally saw us. He was still surprised that I was still pregnant, after his diagnosis of me going into labor over labor day weekend.  I did make some progress from my Tuesday's appointment...from 2cm to 4cm! I was having contractions, but they had been on for about 2 hours and then off for the rest of the day. However, it was time to meet the new addition. The doctor walked us over to the Labor and Delievry to get settled in the birthing room. We were going to meet baby #2 sometime that day. When we checked into our room and I got my nice hospital gown on, we started to inform our family and friends that baby #2 will be here soon.  When our nurse came in to get my hooked up to the IV, we had a lot more in common than we thought.  She attended Clemson during my time I was there for grad school.  Even though she was a chatter, she definitely made the labor experience not feel so over-whelming.  She kept us updated on everything as I progressed. Dr. Elliott, my ob/gyn, kept on checking on me as well. He came in around 5:30pm and broke my water. The contractions started to kick in front-gear about 5 minutes after that. I thought the contractions were going to increase gradually, however baby #2 had another plan and was ready to make his debut. I requested an epidural and it started to kick-in around 6:15pm, as the contraction pain started to decrease gradually. After the doctor left, the nurse was trying to insert a cathader and realized that baby was decending into the birthing canal quickly. She called Dr. Elliott and another nurse came in to set up all the labor "tools" for the doctor. The nurse had me push a couple of times to help the baby down the birthing canal. The doc came in the room at 6:55pm and I pushed a couple of times again and about 10 minutes later, a baby boy was in the world! He was born at 7:08pm, to be exact.  What a great addition to the family! We are so excited to welcome:

Grant Milton Gailey
born at 7:08pm
on September 8, 2011
8 pounds, 1.4 oz
19 3/4" long




No comments: