Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Stiers

My side of the family is big.  And big might be an understatement.  You don't find many families that consist of more than 2 other siblings.  I have 4.  Even though growing up I always thought people judge me for having a big family and I always thought we were different because I had 20+ cousins and we were different. Take my mom, for example, she is the oldest out of 7.  That was very common back in her day and now you don't hear many families having more than 3 kids. I'v always appreciated having a bigger family than the norm and I get more appreciated of it everyday.

Our family is fun.  We go from one extreme--deep conversation about politics to laughing about someone farting.  We don't hold back! Now that all the cousins (the Stier grandkids) are all grown-up and some of us are starting families of our own it is hard to see every cousin every year. It's kind of sad because no matter what holiday or event it was, the Stier family was always together. And now it's far and in-between for all the cousins to get together. 

Last weekend, as you know, we went down to Columbia.  It was one of my cousin's, Sara, wedding.  I was excited because I knew that I was going to see a good bit of all of my cousins.  It was great.  We were able to see little Luc, who is 2 months younger than Benton.  Luc's mom, Kristin, and I are only one year apart.  Kristin and I were able to see each other's first born and "discuss" motherhood.  We also caught up with my cousins: Hank and Michael; Pat and his wife, Melissa; Becky; Jan and her little ones, Matt and his new addition, Hayden, and all the aunts and uncles!  With any event that involves the Stiers, it always involves a family picture. Even though we didn't make the family picture this year since we left the wedding before it was taken, without any doubt we took as many as we could while we were there.  So here are a few pictures of the Stier family and what we get into when we all get together.

Sara and her husband, Phillip

Aunt Mary and Luc

The Hill Family

My mom with 2 out of her 3 girls.

The best we could do getting a family picture.
It's always difficult trying to round 30+ people to one spot.

A good part of the family.

The Cruz family.

Pat and Melissa ~ the newlyweds!
Welcome to the family, Melissa!

Uncle Jack and Uncle Jonathan.
Always got cigars in their hands.

The sisters: Mary, Christie (sister-in-law), Penny, Mom, Susan

Phillip, my brother, and Benton
Can you tell they are related in a way?

3 comments:

Shelly said...

These are great! Wish I could have made it!

Anonymous said...

Of course, you know I LOVE all the pics and everything you said. It was a great night. The best might be the cigar smokers===they are funny.
You take wonderful pictures!!! Thanks for sharing.
LOVE,
Aunt Susan---Flintom3@aol.com

Unknown said...

Love, love, love this!!! Great pics!! I LOVE the one of Phillip & Benton!